Sunday, March 1, 2009

7 - Day Challenge

Today Church was amazing. Our pastor started a blog called the 7 - Day Challenge. Each day he is going to put scripture up on the site, discuss it and has asked us to read, study and comment on the blog about how this particular verse applies to our lives right now. Neat huh? If anyone is interested, you can go to curtsimmons.blogspot.com and take the challenge.

I think I am talking only to myself right now. But, it's a bit therapeutic - like a journal. I have always wanted to journal, have even started a couple, but never followed through. Maybe this will be easier. I type really fast - 90 wpm back in the day, so this is much easier than writing by hand.

Two weeks ago, an old friend of my daughters' came by the house. He recently went through a divorce. I think he just needed someone to talk to. I don't really understand why he chose me, but I am so glad he did. I told him about the movie, Fireproof. I also gave him my copy of Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas - a must read for married people, or for people who someday hope to be married. I invited him to church (he isn't going anywhere) and told him I would pray for he and his ex-wife. I did. I shared with him that the movie helped my brother-in-law and his wife, as well as, my sister and her husband. Two marriages that were in serious trouble and by all worldly accounts over, were turned around because of a movie - go figure. In reality though, God uses whatever He can to get our attention.....don't you think? Anyway, the young man came by again today to tell me that he had rented the movie, invited his ex-wife over to watch it. They watched it, but he said he didn't think it had or will have an affect on her. She seemed unmoved from her decision. I told him that I knew God could do anything and to just keep an open mind and keep praying for her. He is going to read the book as well. I hope I gave him the right advice. You know, you stick your neck out a bit giving advice....what if it's the wrong advice and it hurts instead of helps? I guess all you can do is give it in love and give it through the lense of scripture. Meaning, I know that God hates divorce and just because people get divorced does not mean that he cannot put their marriage back together again. And, He CAN DO ANYTHING!! Finally, I shared with him Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose"- what an amazing scripture - and so evident in my own life - especially looking back. You see where you were in a tough spot, but somehow, someway, God turns that around for your good. I was divorced (not my choice) but now I can't imagine where I would be if it hadn't happened. I now have a wonderful, godly husband, who loves the Lord, and had two more children who I cannot imagine my life without. So even when we go through really bad situations, I think I finally understand from actually looking back, that God ultimately will turn that bad situation around for our good and will use it to possibly help another person going through something similar. Isn't that neat?

Well I have rambled on long enough....have a beautiful Sunday!

2 comments:

jill jill bo bill said...

WHA?! Ypu started a blog and didn't call me? I am so fortunate I have Magnum PI genes and figured it out!!!!! I am so excited you have this now! Your post was wonderful and you have a true gift for this!!!!! You know how much I love you and can't wait to "see" you in Blogland.

90 wpm? I hate you.....LOVE YOU!!!

aterilli said...

I can't believe it has almost been a year since I last posted....I have missed doing it and dang is my background purdy or what? Miss you Jill jill Bo Bill! Love you too.

Avery

Avery