Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I haven't written anything for a while...too busy. I started reading a book my nephew gave to John, (my soon to be graduated from high school) son. He suggested that I read it first and then pass it on to John. It is amazing. It is called, How To Stay Christian In College by: J. Budziszewski. I want to share an excerpt from Chapter 2...


God

God is like nothing we could have imagined.

God is utterly other than us - other in a way we express with the word holiness. Yes, He dwells within each Christian, but He's not you. He isn't the same as you, He isn't a part of you, and He isn't a "higher" you. (Sorry Oprah - my comment!) Yes, you're made in His image, but you're not Him. You're not the same as Him, you're not a part of Him, and you aren't a "splinter" of Him - nor will you ever be. He doesn't depend on anything else because He is what everything else depends on. He can't be explained by anything else because He is what everything else must be explained by. Although we can know what He has taught us about Himself, we can never comprehend him completely because He is greater than our minds. Anything He wills, He can do. He not only holds the supreme power but He also uses it. Nothing can defeat Him and nothing can happen contrary to His will. He is also supremely good - light with no darkness. Although evil is real, He detests it and brings it to judgment. He knows everything, He pays attention to everything, and nothing escapes His notice. He's not just a What and a Who, like me or like you, but one What in three Whos - one God in three persons: father, Son and Holy Spirit. There is no one like Him. He is set apart. He is what he is, and there was never a time when He was not. Isn't that amazing? I love it when something so deep and mind boggling is explained well, and in a nutshell! If anyone is out there reading this, who doesn't know this awesome God that you just read about, I encourage you to "seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. (Isaiah 55:6) God Bless!

2 comments:

jasby said...

Pretty heady stuff! Even a mind as great as Oprah LOL can't fathom the unfathomable. Pardon the critical BIL in me, but the black on black line is difficult to be amazed by. It's mind boggling alright. Deeper, and darker than the inside of a nutshell. Luv ;D

jill jill bo bill said...

I need that book! AWESOME post. I miss you and love you. Pray for Claire. Will talk to you when I won't fall completely apart.

Avery

Avery